There are 2 modules available for geotechnical calculations: Foundation Design and 3D Soil that can work together or individually.
- Foundation Design makes the EC7 code check of the foundation load carrying capacity.
- 3D Soil calculates the interaction between the soil properties and the structure.
1. Foundation Design
The Foundation Design Module is the perfect addition to your FEM-Design 3D Structure program if you want to add geotechnical checks directly to your documentation report.
Isolated and wall foundations
Automatic checks for:
- Soil bearing
- Soil sliding
- Settlement utilization
- Insulation check'
Beam foundations with concrete slab
You can define typical beam foundations under a concrete slab. There are 2 ways you can do this:
- You can have the concrete slab interact with the soil and transfer loads directly, or you can assume that the slab is only distributing the loads to the beams, which are the only ones that interact with the soil. In this example, we are analyzing the latter, where the beams are the ones that transfer the loads to the soil.
2. 3D Soil
Building stresses are usually analyzed in detail, while the foundation is modelled with springs to simulate the underlying soil deformation. These springs - which are often assumed to have the same characteristics over the entire foundation, does not give a true picture of how the soil reacts to the loads.
Benefits of FEM-Design 3D Soil
- The deformation and settlement profile will be much more accurate and - which is more important - the internal forces of the superstructure will be also more realistic according to the soil structure interaction (e.g. it is more relevant when we would like to calculate the internal forces in a foundation slab).
- The nonlinear effects of the soil structure interaction can be followed with different nonlinear soil material models (e.g. Mohr-Coulomb plasticity) which give more accurate results.
- The different soil layers can be defined to create a 3-dimensional soil volume, which is analyzed simultaneously with the overlying structure.
- Models soil with 3D finite element and becomes a construction material like concrete, steel, wood or other materials. The analysis combines these materials in a single calculation. This gives a much more accurate view of soil deformation.
We have made a lot of verification examples to explain the results and how 3D Soil works. You can get it here: Verification examples
The user manual can be found here User Manual.
Watch 3D Soil new features on youtube
Do you want to add the Foundation Design module or 3D Soil module?
Are you interested in finding out more? Then click Get started now.